Monday, September 13, 2010

The DC Gestapo




http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/12/AR2010091203938.html


So while this is a day old, I thought it a topic ripe for discussion and blogging. I would also like to toss in that the people involved I know personally.

A quick overview of the story: Adams Morgan, Sunday afternoon, Festival. Aaron Block was walking Parrot, his shar-pei mix that he is fostering. Parrot snapped at a poodle. Aaron was getting the dog under control when the DC Gestapo arrived, unneeded as per their usual MO. I'm not sure what it is about the Metro SS, but they are never there when they are needed, but there when they aren't. I mean for God's Sakes, how many presidents have been shot in DC? LOL. (I know they are CIA/FBI issues but MPD is the general law enforcement for the city and I choose to blame them) Back to the story, so the Gestapo arrive, puts the dog on the ground, brutally restraining it with a knee in the between its shoulder blades, pressing the 300 lbs of raw policeman into it. (Keep in mind a shar-pei mix probably weighs about 40lbs)




The police officer then throws the dog over a railing down into a staircase, and fires and kills it. Now the police officer is trying to claim that the dog, after being brutally restrained, then THROWN down a staircase, got up and was charging at him, so he had to shoot it..... Seriously..... I say we reenact this scene, but we restrain him, then throw him down the stairs and see if he jumps up and is able to charge at you. Ridiculous... And of course the District Polizei are on record of saying that they believe the killing was justified. Now, out of curiosity *looks around* (I hope that my curiosity isn't going to incite the Officer Fike to shoot my cat), where is PETA. I have a feeling instead of douchebaggers (teabaggers) storming the capitol, you will be seeing Lady Gaga in some hideous outfit, PETA sign in hand picketing the 3rd District station.



8 comments:

Peter Tabakis said...

This happened two doors down from me. It's infuriating. It doesn't help my psyche that the poor dog looked just like my baby Chloe.

The Knowledgemonger said...

I am with you on this Eric.

The police in DC (In particular The 3rd District) have a knack for being complete idiots. We give these people guns to protect the citizenry, but have we stopped teaching them when best to discharge them. The fact that the eyewitness account supporting the officer's perspective is by a former DC cop, I can't imagine that there is any bias here.

And it is just beoing treated like another day on the beat, by the police. Disgusting!

Admiral X said...

This is what happens when you consider the cops above the law. They enforce it and are subject to it, they do not make it. This sort of thing -- literally -- happens to people of color all the time, but there's very little outrage about that, so while I'm aggrieved for the dog, this incident points to bigger issues that need addressing. Let's get some commentary on that then we can talk about the dog.

Admiral X said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Admiral X said...

And what is it with these internal investigations that invariably come back with something along the lines of The Holy Officer X Was Doing His Duty And His Actions Were Fully Justified As A Matter Of Departmental Policy. Maybe I should go out, rob a bank, and conduct an internal investigation to find my actions consistent with those of someone in need of money and therefore beyond reproach.

Lack of credible oversight is only part of the problem and does nothing more than exacerbate these Contempt of Cop situations.

Tuffie said...

hearing about this, living in DC and having a dog that some people assume is mean/threatening simply because he's solid black/looks wolf-life (when he's really a sweet goofball) really pisses me off. this is above and beyond animal cruelty and this 'officer' should loose his badge and gun for being so overly violent and down right stupid.

o_O

The Cobalt Guy said...

And he's crazy.

ArrBee said...

Not to continue fueling this fire but here's more to the story.